Dr. Malia J. Smith
Dr. Malia J. Smith graduated with distinction, receiving her doctorate degree in education from the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles. Â Her scholarly work revolves around cultural impacts upon behavior and self-efficacy. Â She also has a masters in corporate communication and a professional certificate in organizational change management.
Besides working as a consultant, she is currently the assistant dean for the General Education program at HPU and actively participates in curriculum and professional development, student mentoring, program and learning assessments and institution-wide strategic planning. In addition to her administrative duties, she is also a professor teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in the Department of Communication including (but not limited to):
- Integrated Advertising & Public Relations
- Integrated Promotional Marketing & Management
- Creativity in Advertising & Public Relations
- Public Speaking
- PR Writing
- Business Communication
Areas of Expertise
Professionally, she has an extensive background in management, marketing and organizational change and development and has provided services to various organizations, schools, political congressional candidates and governmental agencies. Prior to working at HPU, Dr. Smith held different executive positions including:
- Vice President of a research firm
- Chief-of-Staff for a Hawaii State Senator
- News Director for six radio stations on Maui
- In serving the community, Dr. Smith acts as the Board President for Sustain Hawaii, and is a member of the Prince Kuhio Hawaiian Civic Club.
Based on Dr. Smithâ€™s scholastic and professional experience, she is a qualified systems-based thinker that provides quality services to her clients.